Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Opportunity

Many have heard the saying, "When opportunity knocks, open the door."

But I think this quote by Louis L'Amour says it better: "Some say opportunity knocks only once.  That is not true.  Opportunity knocks all the time, but you have to be ready for it.  If the chance comes, you must have the equipment to take advantage of it." 

So I am always on the lookout for opportunities, whatever they may be.  Usually, I am looking for opportunities of the writing or editing variety that I can squeeze in to my already hectic teaching schedule.  There aren't many legitimate opportunities posted on Craigslist, but every so often something interesting shows up.  Earlier this week, I was hunting around the writing gigs section and there was an ad for someone to create an office procedures manual using existing memos.  I sent email inquiry email (no resume, just to find out if it was actually legit).  I got a response - email my resume or fax it.  I looked up the name of the sender and cross-checked the fax number.  Yep, legit!  I updated my resume and emailed it.

I got a call the next day to come in to the office and fill out an application and take a test.  I asked what kind of test they wanted me to take.  A DISC personality test..... o-k.  I wondered if I should save them trouble and just let them know that I'm a C-D (and have been the past few times I've taken it). Nah, I figured I'd take it again and see what came up.  So yesterday, was my appointment.  I showed up on time, looking professional, ready to impress. 

After filling out the standard job application and taking the test, making sure I chose all the C-D answers I could (oooooh subversive...), I took another test - word use, patterns, math, etc.  It made me sympathize with my students for a moment.  Then I got to the good part - reviewing the binder of memos they want turned into a manual.  So far so good.  Thank goodness for my brief foray into medical assisting - I still remember terminology and abbreviations.  Finally, they asked me to prepare a proposal, so they could make a decision that day between me and another person.  They never did tell me what I scored on the DISC test, but I'm guessing it's the same as usual (exacting, systematic, and likes rules and procedures with a mix of assertiveness and determination).

This is where the other part of Louis L'Amour's quote comes in.  I had a solid chance of getting this job and bringing in some extra cash to help us with our financial goals.  And I knew I had the equipment to take advantage of it.  I drove home wondering how I was going to write a proposal, then realized I spent nearly 6 editing then writing proposals at the old job.  And I knew that I could do the job because before I left the old job, I put those nearly 6 years of job duties into a reference manual, just like the one this company was asking for.  I got this.

The response to my proposal? "Would you like to start Monday?"  Yep, I got this.  I answered the door.

More opportunity quotes at Quote Garden.

No comments: