Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Sunday Evening Blog

This makes the third Sunday in a row that I've written. Could this be a habit in the making?  Let's hope so.

I've been thinking of something to write this week, and because my life is not as eventful and wildly interesting as I would like, there are limited topics to discuss: bad students, good students, my kids, Farmville.... See, not all that extensive.  Or exciting, for that matter.  But then I remembered the nifty little gadget that I got for Christmas and have just now put to use - my Nook.

I love my Nook.  I have tons of books at my fingertips.  Currently, I am reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett for the book club meeting this month.  It's a great story so far.  I'm not that far in, but I have a feeling I am going to greatly enjoy this one.  I long for the days in high school when I could read a 500-page novel in a day because I had the time.  I may just make it in time for the meeting with this one.
The Help

This is also my first experience as being part of a book club.  I was invited to join by one of my colleagues at the business school, and my supervisor and another director are also in the group.  The women, who have been together for many years, were very welcoming to a newcomer.

So far this year, we've read "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier and "Devil's Bargain" by Jade Lee. When school gets busy, I usually just read Harlequins because they're all the same formula and don't require any deep thinking.  They're a good escape after reading textbooks and student papers all day.  But the book club reading list is taking me out of that zone and getting me back into real reading again.  I didn't realize how much I missed finding new books and reading different things.  Thank you book club!

And I have to thank Howard for getting me a Nook because without it, I would have to add to our already overloaded giant bookshelf!  Did I mention that I love my Nook?

No comments: