Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer of Movies

In 2001, between May and August (4 full months), I saw about 2-3 movies every week and remember it as one of my favorite summers.  I've decided to do it again.  In the last few years, I've been lucky to see 2-3 movies a year and feel very much out of the loop.  Beginning June 1, I've decided to see as many movies as I possibly can this summer.  I've already seen 3 since Saturday - woo!  And I will document my Summer of Movies here with reviews of all the movies I see.

I should make a disclaimer about my movie reviews before I begin.  I love the movies.  Going to the movie theater is one of the best things in life.  I go to be entertained, and I can see just about anything and find something good to say about it.  I don't go to the movies to be critical - if I've chosen to spend my money on it, I plan to get lost in the movie.  So on that note, my reviews will mostly be positive most of the time - except, well, when they're not.  Please comment if you've seen the movies and have anything to add!

Men in Black III
I still watch the original once in a while and always have a good laugh.  The second film was also quite funny, though not as good as #1.  I expected to be entertained in the third film, and I was.  There were a few little tie-ins to the previous movies that I thought worked really well.  Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones make a great pair as always, and Josh Brolin was a great addition.  He did the whole "Tommy Lee Jones" accent so well!  The twist at the end was a fantastic way to bring the whole trilogy to a close.  I was waiting for a little joke after the credits, though, so I was a bit disappointed when there wasn't one. 

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
I knew I wanted to see this movie from the first time I saw the trailer.  The cast is an outstanding group of actors that I have enjoyed watching in many movies, especially Judy Dench and Tom Wilkinson.  The movie was focused on the characters and how they learn about themselves, and I felt like I was part of their lives.  They were so believable.  I laughed and cried and will definitely have this in my Instant Queue on Netflix when it comes out. 

Snow White and the Huntsman
I was a bit skeptical about this one before I went.  I like Charlize Theron, but am not a fan of Kristen Stewart.  In fact, I don't think she was the best choice for Snow White - she just was not believable as a strong female lead and her acting still needs work.  Despite my dissatisfaction with KS, the movie as a whole was a good piece of action.  I enjoyed Charlize Theron's portrayal of Ravena - she does evil very well.  And I was pleasantly surprised to realize that Bob Hoskins played the part of Muir.  We all know how the story basically goes, and this adaptation was a good one. 

Movies I'm looking forward to seeing:
  • For Greater Glory
  • Prometheus
  • Rock of Ages
  • Brave
  • Magic Mike
  • The Amazing Spiderman
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • The Bourne Legacy
  • Total Recall
  • And many more once I read up on them all!
What are you seeing this summer?
 

No comments: