Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

P90X - Days 15, 16, and 17 Recap

I am sore!!!!  I am still feeling Sunday's workout in my pecs - ouch.  I've been thinking about this whole P90X thing.  Week 1, I was so motivated and raring to go.  Week 2, I still felt good about it, but my body was reacting to things in ways that I was and am not happy with.  The allergic reaction was bad enough (still there, but getting better), but the sciatic nerve issues that were feeling like they were finally going away before I started P90X came back (luckily not in full force), so I have to modify some moves.  OK, that's not too big a deal.  My getting-closer-to-40 body has other ideas.  My knees are sore.  Sure, they have to carry more weight than they should, but I worry that I got my mom's knees.  I'm not ready to see the doctor - she'll just tell me weight loss is the first step. Duh.  But after modifying workouts for 17 days, I find that I need lower intensity for the time being. 

And finally my wrist.  I have had tendonitis in my right wrist since junior high.  Usually the only way to help it is to rest, but I have also found that working it out more can actually help.  I got rid of tendonitis in my foot by walking - amazing!  In between workouts, I'm in a wrist brace.  I'm going to stick with the P90X weight workouts each week, but instead of Cardio X, Yoga X, and Kenpo X, I'm going to substitute Walk Away the Pounds DVDs.  These were my go-to workout when I lost weight six years ago, and while I like the P90X workouts, my joints are not quite as thrilled.  The WATP workouts are low intensity, but incorporate arms and sometimes weights, so it's not just walking.  The kicks and knee lifts are great for the abs, too.  When I get through the second month, I will revisit the P90X cardio workouts.
Workouts: Chest & Back, Cardio X, Shoulders & Arms
Day 15 was Chest & Back.  This is probably the toughest workout of the week (other than the cardio).  It's all push ups and pull ups, so this one bothers my wrist, though not usually until the next day.  I think if I put the brace on my wrist right after the workout each week, I should be OK.  I quit using the pull up bar (or horribly attempting to use the pull up bar) and switched to using a resistance band over the door instead.  I feel like I'm getting a much better workout than trying to do actual pull ups.
Day 16 was Cardio X.  It's good, but see above.  My joints will thank me if I lower the intensity for a while.  I'll come back to this, though.  I like the workout and want to do it again in Month 3 to finish strong. 

Day 17 was Shoulders & Arms.  This is still my favorite, probably because it's the one in which I've shown the most progress. Next Sunday, I'm moving up to 8-lb weights for a couple of the bicep exercises. I'm still on 5-lb weights for the shoulder and tricep exercises, but there are a couple that I may move up to 8-lbs after next week. I can't wait to have rockin' biceps and triceps again!  Don't worry, I'm not going for big bulky muscles, though I do want definition.

Eating: P90X and Weight Watchers
I'm staying within my points, but I'm tired of always being in the kitchen.  Planning and preparing is so much harder than getting in a workout every day.  It's hot, and my house is hot, and the last thing I want to do is turn on the oven.  I've been trying to make more than one thing at a time so that I can have things that I can throw in the microwave and eat quickly, but sometimes it doesn't happen.  Day 17, I was tired and didn't feel like waiting to make my dinner, so I ate pizza with the munckhin (and earlier in the day, I ate chips and salsa, too).  It was a lot of points, and I wish I had spent it on a good delivered pizza (because DiGiorno is NOT the same as Pizza Hut), but I had the points from my workouts this week, and I didn't use it as an excuse to blow the rest of the night.  I looked at the damage points-wise, and it wasn't that bad.  I used a lot of activity points, but I didn't use any weekly points; it wasn't bad!  Plus, I haven't felt all that hungry this week, so that has helped, especially considering that my points target dropped when I lost weight last week. 
Here's what I've been eating:

How do you keep motivated?  What are some things you do when you find yourself losing motivation?

No comments: